A health conscious but delicious dessert.
- 1 cup couscous
- 2 cups of apple juice
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 160 g cube tofu
- 80 ml apple juice concentrate
- 300g-350g blueberries (fresh or frozen)
- 2 tsp agar (agar flakes)
- 12 in flan dish (metal, glass or ceramic)
- Wash the couscous, drain and place in a pot with the apple juice and vanilla essence. Bring to the boil. Place a lid on top, lower the heat and simmer for 3 minutes.
- Allow to sit with the lid on top for 10 minutes. Stir well.
- Oil first then rinse the flan dish with water. Press the couscous mixture into the dish with dampened fingers, bringing the mix up the sides of the dish.
- Chill in the fridge for 2 hours until set.
- Blend the tofu along with 30 ml (1 fl oz) of apple juice concentrate until smooth. Spread evenly over the couscous base.
- Wash the blueberries and arrange evenly on top of the tofu.
- Place the agar-agar and 50 ml (1 ¾ fl oz) apple juice concentrate and 55 ml (2 fl oz) water in a pot. Bring to a boil, lower the heat and simmer for 3 minutes.
- Allow to cool slightly.
- Spoon the agar jelly over the fruit. Allow to cool thoroughly before serving.
Lorraine's tips: Agave syrup can be used instead of the apple juice concentrate. Raspberries also work well. Custard or soy custard can be used instead of the tofu cream
More by Lorraine Fitzmaurice:
- Muffuletta Sandwich
- Red Cabbage, Apple: St Patrick's Day Alternative
- Layered Spinach And Ricotta Crepes With Sauté Mush