Makes a great starter or light meal.
- venison sausages (1 per person)
- red wine (to cover)
- olive oil
- garlic clove (minced)
- shallot (minced)
- fresh thyme
- bay leaf
- for the onion marmalade:
- 350 g onions
- 50 g butter
- 80 g caster sugar
- 1/2 tsp each salt and pepper
- 4 tblsp sherry vinegar
- 125 ml red wine
- Heat the oil in the casserole then, with the heat at medium, brown the sausages evenly all over.
- Transfer them to a plate while you saute the garlic and shallots.
- Return the sausages to the casserole, pour in the wine and the thyme and bay leaves. Now season lightly, bring it all up to a gentle simmer, cover, turn the heat as low as possible and let it all simmer gently for 30 minutes.
- For the Onion Marmalade:
- Peel and slice onions thinly.
- Melt the butter until a nut brown
- Add onions and sugar, season and stir well
- Cover and cook slowly for approx 30 minutes
- Add vinegar and wine, stir and cook uncovered for a further 30 minutes.
More by Jeni Pim:
- Prosecco and Berry Fruit Jelly served with Cinnamon Cream
- Pistachio Crusted Rack of Lamb with Braised Neck and Sautéed Broccoli and Beans
- Individual Pear & Chocolate Pavlovas