Served with a delicious Crème Anglaise.
- for the pudding:
- 110 g melted butter
- 175 g plain flour
- 1 level teaspoon of baking powder
- 1 level teaspoon of ground cinnamon
- 2 level teaspoons of ground ginger
- 0.5 tsp ground cloves
- 2 large eggs
- 175 g brown sugar
- 2 large tablespoons black treacle
- 200 ml milk
- for the crème anglaise:
- 100 ml cream
- 1 vanilla pod (halved)
- 2 egg yolks
- 20 g white sugar
- For the Pudding:
- Sieve the flour, baking power and spices together. Add melted butter to the eggs, treacle, brown sugar and milk. Add the wet mix to the flour and spices and mix until a smooth batter has been achieved. Pour into greased and floured ramekins until ¾ full. Place the ramekins in a deep baking tray.
- Pour water into baking tray until half way up the sides of the ramekins. Cover the baking tray with tin foil fixing the edges to the tray. Bake for 40-45 minutes at 180°C.
- For the Crème Anglaise:
- In a small heavy saucepan heat the cream and vanilla pod until bubbles appear at the edges. As cream is heating beat together the egg yolks and sugar.
- When the cream is hot add it slowly to the egg and sugar mixture whisking it continuously. Put the mixture back into the pot and reheat stirring constantly until the mixture coats the back of a spoon. Make sure the mixture doesn’t boil.