Crispy Hong Kong Salt and Pepper Prawns
Soon to be a favourite!
- 450 g large prawns with shells on
- 2 tblsp salt
- 2 fresh red hot chilies, coarsely chopped
- 2 tsp coarse salt
- 1 tsp roasted and ground sichuan peppercorns
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 tblsp finely chopped garlic
- 2 tsp finely chopped ginger
- 2 tblsp finely chopped spring onions
- 2 cup groundnut oil
- Fill a large bowl with cold water, add 1 tablespoon of salt, and gently wash the unpeeled prawn in the salt water.
- Drain and repeat the process. Remove the feathery legs from the prawn, drain, and blot them dry with paper towel.
- In a small bowl, combine the salt, peppercorns, and sugar and set aside.
- In another small bowl, combine the garlic, ginger, and spring onions.
- Heat a wok or deep skillet until it is hot and add the oil.
- When the oil is very hot and smoking, add the prawn and deep-fry for about 1 minute or until they are pink.
- Remove them immediately with a slotted spoon and drain well.
- Pour off all but 1 1/2 tablespoons of the oil and reheat the wok.
- Add the salt mixture and stir-fry for 10 seconds.
- Add the garlic-ginger-spring onion mixture and stir-fry for 10 seconds.
- Return the prawn to the wok and stir-fry over high heat for about 2 minutes until the spices have thoroughly coated the outer shell of the prawn.
- Transfer the prawn to a serving platter and serve at once.
Use your RTE ID to Join
- Upload your style photos
- Create and save recipes
- Review and Comment
- Have your say