- 75 g butter (at room temperature)
- 12 slices sliced white bread
- 50 g sultanas
- 450 ml milk
- 150 ml pouring cream
- 4 eggs
- 75 g caster sugar
- Generously butter an ovenproof dish.
- Remove the crusts from the bread and using the remaining butter, butter both sides, then cut each slice into quarters.
- Arrange a single layer of the bread triangles, slightly overlapping in the bottom of the buttered dish.
- Scatter over some of the sultanas and place another layer of the bread triangles on top and scatter over the remaining raisins. Press down gently with a fish slice or spatula.
- To make the custard, heat the cream and milk in a pan until it almost comes to the boil. Remove from the heat.
- Meanwhile, whisk together the eggs and sugar in a large heatproof bowl set over a pan of simmering water until thickened and the whisk leaves a trail in the mixture.
- Remove from the heat and beat in the cream mixture until well combined.
- Pour two-thirds of the custard over the layered-up bread triangles and leave to stand for about 30 minutes or until the bread has soaked up all of the custard.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F/Gas 4).
- Pour the remaining custard over the soaked bread and butter triangles and arrange the rest of the bread triangles on top.
- Press down firmly with a fish slice so that the custard comes halfway up the bread triangles.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes until the custard is just set and the top is golden brown.
- Serve with lightly whipped cream.
Use your RTE ID to Join
- Upload your style photos
- Create and save recipes
- Review and Comment
- Have your say