This salad can be made for a large number of people or a small number, this is also a salad which allows you to use what ever vegetables you have to hand. Therefore the quantities are variable; however the key is to have even amounts of all the vegetables
- celeriac (cubed)
- potatoes (whole)
- carrots (cubed)
- broad beans
- cauliflower (florets)
- celery (sliced)
- hispy cabbage (sliced)
- tarragon (optional)
- basil - optional
- for the mayonnaise:
- 2 eggs yolks
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 250 ml corn oil
- little extra virgin olive oil to finish
- squeeze of lemon juice
- Cook the potatoes with the skin on in gently boiling salted water.
- When cooked strain and set aside to cool.
- Once cooled, peel the potatoes and cut them into cubes the same as the other vegetables, about 2cm cubes.
- Blanch all of the vegetables, dry them and put in a large serving dish.
- To blanch have a pot of salted water at a rolling boil, and a bowl of iced salted water.
- First step is to submerge the vegetables in the boiling water for a couple of minutes.
- Lift the vegetables out of the water and plunge the vegetables into the ice water for a minute. The salted ice water is to stop the cooking process.
- Place the egg yolk in a mixing bowl with mustard.
- Pour in the vegetable oil in a slow steady stream, whisking constantly.
- Keep whisking until the mixture reaches the correct consistency which is a creamy consistency, and a light yellow in colour.
- Add a little extra virgin olive oil for flavour and a squeeze of lemon.
- Taste and adjust seasonings.
- Add the mayonnaise to the vegetables and mix through. At this point you can add some herbs, tarragon or basil and mix through.
- Serve with cold meats or Artisan Charcuterie.
More by Richard Corrigan:
- Butter Poached Smoked Haddock with a German Potato Salad
- Roasted Corn on the Cob
- Rump Burger with Foccacia Bread and Chunky Chips