This is luxurious seasonal food at its best - Soy and Honey Glazed Belly of pork with Seared Scallops, Sautéed Cabbage and Ham Hock with a Little Apple Pomme Purée.
- 1 pork belly
- 18 medium sized scallops
- 1 head of green kale/cabbage
- 1 small ham hock (found towards the leg or ankle) (very flavorsome)
- 2 large cooking apples
- 75 g sugar
- 3 tblsp cold water
- 120 ml soy sauce
- 3 tblsp honey
- 6 large potatoes (i normally use roosters for mashing)
- 50 ml cream
- 50 g butter
- Ask your butcher to tie and roll the pork belly for you and then transfer it to a large pot, covered with water and some fresh herbs and bring to the boil for 1 ½ hours, until the meat is nice and tender.
- Remove the meat from the water and allow it to cool down. It is preferable to leave this meat in the fridge overnight but if not leave it for as long as time allows.
- Meanwhile pop the ham hock onto the boil in the same manner as the pork belly but on this occasion leave the ham hock on for 2 hours and allow it to cool down in the water, or stock, in which it was boiled.
- In this incidence the meat will continue to cook and fall right off the bone when you go to tear it off later on. Delicious!!
- Peel and thinly slice the cooking apples, place them in a medium sized saucepan with the sugar and the water and simmer gently until the apples have softened. Mash them roughly with the back of a wooden spoon. Allow the apple mixture to cool.
- Put the potatoes onto the boil as normal and when they have softened, strain off the water and mash with the butter and cream. Mix in the puréed apple.
- Cut the pork belly into slices, about 1 inch thick and pan fry on a hot pan until they have become glazed on either side.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (400°F/Gas 6).
- Mix the soy sauce and honey together and pour into the pan on top of pork belly. Allow this mixture to bubble for a moment and then transfer to the oven for a 5-6 minutes.
- Meanwhile thinly slice the cabbage, blanch it in boiling water for 2-3 minutes.
- Heat a large wok and add to it a little oil. Tear the ham hock into pieces and chop roughly. Fry the ham hock in the wok and then add in the blanched cabbage and heat well.
- Heat another pan with a little butter on this occasion and seal the scallops on wither side for 60 seconds.
- To Serve:
- Arrange the cabbage stirfry on the plate with the pork resting on top.
- Pop some of the apple scented potatoes on top of the pork and secure the slops a little into the potatoes.
- Drizzle the entire dish with a little of the remaining sauce from the pork pan. Serve and enjoy!
More by Kevin Dundon:
- Salmon Fillet, Chili Pesto: Today, Kevin Dundon
- Indulgent Eggnog: What it is & how to make it!
- Kevin Dundon's Christmas Turkey: Today Show