A healthy salad with great texture and a tasty dressing.
- 90 g organic grain brown rice
- 90 g organic barley
- 90 g organic rye
- natural sea salt
- unrefined sunflower oil
- 1 handful finely chopped parsley
- 55 g cooked chickpeas
- 55 g arame seaweed (cooked but unseasoned)
- 55 g carrots (cut into julienne strips and lightly steamed)
- 3 tblsp natural soya sauce
- 1 tsp fresh ginger juice
- toasted sesame seeds
- Wash the grains well and place in a heavy based pot. Cover with water to 10 cm (4 in) above the grain. Add a pinch of salt. Bring to a boil, lower the heat, place a tight lid on top and simmer for one hour. Rince in cold water until the grains have completely cooled. This prevents them from sticking. Allow to drain well.
- Place the cooled grains in a large mixing bowl. Toss the grains in a little sunflower oil until they shine.
- Add the parsley, chickpeas and seaweed and mix well. Toss the carrots gently through the grains to prevent them breaking up.
- Mix the soy sauce and ginger juice together in a small bowl. Add gradually to the salad until the desired flavour has been reached.
- Place in a serving bowl and garnish with sesame seeds and a little parsley.
- To make the Ginger Juice:
- Finely grate a piece of fresh ginger.
- Gather up the pulp in the palm of your hand and squeeze firmly until all the juice is released.
- Discard the dry pulp.
- To Cook the Arame Seaweed:
- Wash the seaweed well.
- Place in a pot, cover it level with water and allow to soak for 30 minutes.
- Cook for 15 minutes over a medium heat and drain.
More by Lorraine Fitzmaurice:
- Vegetable and Tofu Kebabs with Spicy Peanut Sauce
- Muffuletta Sandwich
- Halloumi and baby potato skewers