A guilt-free dessert with loads of flavour.
- 910 g pears
- 60 ml honey
- 2 eggs
- 115 g granulated sugar
- 960 ml unflavoured non fat yogurt
- 960 ml water
- 455 g caster sugar
- juice of ½ lemon
- 1 cinnamon stick
- Place the water, caster sugar, lemon juice and cinnamon stick into a saucepan. Bring to the boil and allow to simmer for 5 minutes. Leave to cool in the saucepan. This is the poaching syrup.
- Peel and core the pears. Cut them in half and place them in the poaching syrup. Cook on a gentle heat for about 15 minutes until the pears are soft. Drain the pears and then puree until smooth. Allow to cool completely.
- Bring the honey to the boil in a small saucepan. At the same time, in a bowl, whisk the eggs and sugar together until frothy. Add the honey to the egg and sugar mixture, whipping constantly until the mixture has cooled to room temperature.
- Stir the egg mixture into the yogurt together with the cooled pear puree.
- Pour the mixture into a large bowl and place in the freezer.
- After an hour, when ice crystals begin to form around the sides of the bowl, beat with a whisk until the mixture is smooth again.
- Repeat this process twice more then allow to freeze completely
More by Louise Lennox:
- Hot Cross Buns time
- Something for the weekend: Irish Breakfast Scones
- Valentine's Day Choc Fudge Lollies: Louise Lennox