A delicious, crunchy combination.
- 4/6 cabbage leaves (hard stem at base of the leaf removed)
- 2 cup cooked quinoa
- 160 g cube tofu
- 1 medium onion (diced small)
- 2 carrots (diced small)
- 0.5 stick celery (diced small)
- 115 g mushrooms (diced small)
- 1 tblsp parsley (chopped fine)
- 6 floz water
- 1 tblsp brown rice vinegar
- squeeze of lemon juice
- 1 strip of kombu seaweed 4 inches long
- natural soy sauce
- Slice the tofu into 4 slices. Place it on kitchen towel, place another sheet on top, place a flat weight on top for 30 minutes. This is to take some moisture from the tofu.
- Slice each piece of tofu into small cubes, marinate for a few minutes in some soy sauce.
- Heat a frying pan and fry the tofu in unrefined oil until golden. Toss in a little more soy sauce. Set aside.
- Thoroughly mix the quinoa, tofu, onion, carrot, celery, mushroom and parsley in a mixing bowl. Check the seasoning.
- Shape the vegetables and grain into oblong shapes.
- Blanch cabbage leaves in water for 3 minutes.
- Roll the stuffing up inside the cabbage leaves and fasten with a toothpick to hold together.
- Place the water, rice vinegar and lemon juice in a heavy based pot. Wipe the kombu with a damp cloth to remove the salt and place into the liquid.
- Place the rolled cabbage leaves into the pot. Add a sprinkling of soy sauce, cover, and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 15/ 20 minutes until the rolls are soft and tender.
- Arrange the cabbage leaves on a serving platter.
- To Cook Quinoa (pronounced keenwa):
- Wash the quinoa well.
- Place in a pot, 1 part quinoa / 2 parts water.
- Add a pinch of salt.
- Place a lid on top, bring to a boil, lower the heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and set aside for 15 minutes. Do not be tempted to lift the lid. Stir well. If you want to use in a salad rinse in plenty of cold water after standing time and drain well.
More by Lorraine Fitzmaurice:
- Vegetable and Tofu Kebabs with Spicy Peanut Sauce
- Muffuletta Sandwich
- Halloumi and baby potato skewers