A warming and flavourful dessert that combines coconut, lemongrass and plum.
- 3 oz pearl rice
- 1 stalk lemon grass cut in half
- 0.25 pint whole milk
- 0.5 pint coconut milk
- ¾ pint cream
- 1 ½ oz caster sugar
- for the plum compote:
- 8 oz plums
- 2 floz dark rum
- 2 oz brown sugar
- 0.5 level teaspoon ground ginger
- 0.5 level teaspoon cinnamon
- Heat milks, cream and lemon grass over medium heat.
- Put the pearl rice and sugar into a greased ovenproof dish and add the hot liquid and stir and cover with tinfoil.
- Cook in a low oven (140°C) for an hour, stirring after half an hour.
- While the pudding is cooking prepare the compote.
- Half the plums and remove the stones and cut into small pieces.
- Put plums into saucepan and add all the remaining ingredients and cook on a very low heat for about 15 minutes.
- When the rice is soft and all the liquid has evaporated, remove from oven and remove the lemon grass.
- Grease 6 ramekins and fill with the rice pudding.
- Turn the ramekins upside down onto a plate to unmould the puddings.
- Sprinkle a little brown sugar onto each of the pudding and unless you have a blow torch, put under a hot grill to caramelize.
- Spoon the warm plum compote around the puddings.
More by Louise Lennox:
- Hot Cross Buns time
- Something for the weekend: Irish Breakfast Scones
- Valentine's Day Choc Fudge Lollies: Louise Lennox