Give the humble can of baked beans a makeover with this delicious recipe.
- 400 g beans (strained)
- 100 g smoked bacon lardons
- 1 onion sliced
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 spring thyme
- 500 g chicken stock
- 4 legs confit duck
- 1 l duck/goose fat
- 100 g bread crumbs
- 50 g parsley
- 0.5 lemon zest
- 20 g butter
- Melt duck fat and season, add duck legs and simmer for 2 hours or until the meat falls away from the bone.
- Pick meat and reserve to one side.
- Strain beans and reserve tomato sauce, rinse beans.
- Fry bacon, sausage until brown add diced onion and garlic and sweat until soft.
- Add chicken stock and thyme and reduce by half.
- Add the rinsed beans and continue to boil for 5 minutes.
- Mix in picked duck and stir in the butter.
- Pour mix into serving bowl.
- Put bread crumbs parsley and lemon zest fool processor and blend until thoroughly mixed.
- Sprinkle crumb mix on top of beans and place under grill for 1 minute.
More by Oliver Dunne:
- Crêpe Souffle with Chocolate & Cranberry
- Who are ya' Coddle-in'? St Patrick('s Day dins)
- Ardsallagh Goat's Cheese and Beetroot Compote