A crunchy and crumbly treat!
- 250 g organic fine oat flakes
- 60 g ground almonds
- 120 g brown rice flour
- 50 g toasted desiccated coconut
- 50 g roasted hazelnuts (skin removed and roughly chopped) ¼ teaspoon natural sea salt 90 ml (3 floz) sunflower oil
- 125 ml organic maple syrup
- ¼ teaspoon natural sea salt
- 90 ml sunflower oil
- Place the oat flakes, ground almonds, rice flour, desiccated coconut, hazelnuts and the salt in a large roomy bowl.
- Mix together well.
- Add the oil and the maple syrup one at a time and mix very well.
- Add 2 dessertspoons of water. Mix well.
- Oil 2 baking sheets.
- Start forming the cookies. Divide the mixture into 12 portions, place 6 on each of the baking sheets.
- Place a 9 cm (3 ½") scone cutter over one of the portions and press the cookie mixture down lightly.
- Lift the cutter and there should be a well formed cookie. Repeat until all the cookies have been formed.
- Place in a pre heated oven on the middle shelf.
- Bake for 40 minutes or until the cookies are lightly golden.
- Cool and serve.
- In an airtight container these cookies will keep for 2 weeks.
- Variations: Replace the hazelnuts and the coconut with soaked sundried raisins and toasted roughly chopped walnuts. Or chopped unsulphered apricots and toasted pumpkin seeds. There are also dried cranberries and chopped dates available. Be adventurous.
More by Lorraine Fitzmaurice:
- Muffuletta Sandwich
- Red Cabbage, Apple: St Patrick's Day Alternative
- Layered Spinach And Ricotta Crepes With Sauté Mush