Make the most of Autumn blackberries with this delicious dessert.
- 1 lb blackberries (washed and drained)
- 120 ml water
- 0.5 tsp nutmeg
- 0.5 tsp cinnamon
- 1 oz cornflour
- for the topping:
- 12 oz plain flour
- 1 ½ tbsp baking powder
- 2 oz butter
- 380 ml double cream
- In a saucepan combine sugar, cornflour, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Gradually stir in the water. Bring mixture to the boil, stirring constantly.
- Remove from the heat. Put blackberries into a heatproof dish and pour liquid over.
- Sift flour and baking powder together. Cut butter into chunks, add and cut into flour mixture until it becomes the size of peas.
- Pour in the cream and stir rapidly with hand to form dough.
- Place on floured work surface and pat out with hands and then using a round scone cutter (if you don’t have one, the top of a glass will do) cut into rounds. Place on top of the blackberries.
- Bake at 180°C for 25 minutes.
More by Louise Lennox:
- Saturday Brunch: American Style Pancakes
- Hot Cross Buns time
- Something for the weekend: Irish Breakfast Scones