This recipe is a dinner party saviour.
- 3 half cups milk
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 large butternut squash (3 lbs approximately)
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 20 sage leaves
- big bunch parsley
- extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion diced
- 1 cup toasted walnuts (pieces or halves) roughly chopped
- sea salt and black pepper
- 3 half tablespoons of butter
- 3 half tablespoons unbleached white flour
- 1 8oz packet lasagne
- 1 cup grated cheese (vegetarian rennet)
- 1 cup parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 190°C (375°F/Gas 5).
- In a pot slowly heat the milk with the bay leaves. Set aside.
- Peel and dice (half inch pieces) the butternut squash.
- Chop 2 of the garlic cloves with the sage leaves and parsley.
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a pan. Add the onion and squash and cook until the butternut squash is tender. About 25 minutes cooking.
- Add the garlic and herb mix and the walnuts. Cook for another few minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Turn off the heat.
- Melt the butter in a pot and stir in the flour.
- Remove the bayleaves from the warmed milk and add it gradually to the flour, whisking briskly.
- Turn the heat to low and stirring, cook until the sauce thickens and the flour is cooked. About 20 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- Spread a thin layer of sauce in a 9 in x 12 in lasagne dish. Cover with a layer of lasagne.
- Cover with half the squash mixture.
- Pour a layer of sauce over, sprinkle with half the cheese and a third of the parmesan cheese.
- Repeat and cover with a third layer of lasagna sheets.
- Pour the remaining sauce on top, top with the remaining parmesan cheese.
- Loosely cover with tin foil.
- Bake for 30 minutes, remove the foil and bake for a further 20 minutes until bubbly and golden.
- This lasagne freezes well. Allow to return to room temperature before baking again.
More by Lorraine Fitzmaurice:
- Vegetable and Tofu Kebabs with Spicy Peanut Sauce
- Muffuletta Sandwich
- Halloumi and baby potato skewers