Bursting with flavour scallops provide a delicious budget busting main course for two for under €10!
- 1 pack of frozen scallops (300g, defrosted)
- flesh of 1 orange with juice
- about 10 sprigs of fresh basil
- 4 tblsp white wine
- 2 tblsp soy sauce
- 3 tblsp fresh orange juice
- 0.5 tblsp sugar
- 40 ml cream
- 1 tblsp chives
- 10 baby potatoes
- oil for frying
- The frying pan has to be really, really hot to get this dish spot on. The intense heat helps to draw out the sugars in the scallops, making them even sweeter.
- Put the potatoes on the boil. Segment the orange over a small bowl, cover and refrigerate. Pick the basil sprigs.
- Place the wine, orange juice, sugar and soy sauce in a pan over a high heat and boil until there is 4 tabblespoons of liquid left in the pan.
- Add cream and boil again until 50mls remain. This should take about 2 minutes.
- Put the frying pan on a high heat. Season the scallops with salt and pepper.
- Put 30mls of oil in the very hot pan and immediately put the scallops on.
- Cook for 45 seconds and then turn over and cook for a further 45 seconds. Drain the potatoes.
- Gently reheat the sauce and add the chopped chives.
- Put the scallops on the plate and decorate with the orange flesh and basil sprigs.
- Pour the sauce around the plate and serve immediately with boiled baby potatoes on the side.
More by Garth McColgan:
- Latino Chilli Wraps with Guacamole
- Easter Cupcake Delights
- Irish Angus Burgers with Red Onion Marmalade