This tasty dessert is dairy free, wheat free and sugar free.
- for the base:
- 210 g fine oatflakes
- 140 g brown rice flour
- 95 g ground almonds
- 120 ml sunflower oil
- 120 ml maple syrup
- for the filling:
- 1 kg sweet potato
- 3 free range eggs
- 0.5 tsp cinnamon
- 0.5 tsp mixed spice
- 0.5 tsp ground ginger
- 80 ml maple syrup
- 115 g pecan nuts
- oil a 29 cm (11 half in) rectangular flan tin
- Preheat oven to 190°C (375°F/Gas 5). Peel and dice the sweet potato into 5 cm (2 in) pieces and place on an oiled oven tray.
- Cook in a pre heated oven on the top shelf for 20 minutes. Set aside.
- In a mixing bowl mix the oatflakes, rice flour and ground almonds.
- Stir in the sunflower oil and the maple syrup and mix well.
- Add a little water to bring the ingredients together into a stiff dough.
- With dampened fingers, press the mixture firmly into the oiled cake tin, bringing it evenly up the sides of the tin.
- Bake in the pre heated oven for 20 minutes. Set aside.
- Place the roasted sweet potato, eggs, cinnamon, mixed spice, ground ginger and maple syrup in a food processor and blend until all the ingredients are smooth and creamy.
- Pour into the pre baked pie case.
- Place the pecans in the mix to create a nice even pattern. Return to the oven and bake on the centre shelf for 40 minutes.
More by Lorraine Fitzmaurice:
- Red Cabbage, Apple: St Patrick's Day Alternative
- Vegetable and Tofu Kebabs with Spicy Peanut Sauce
- Muffuletta Sandwich