A lovely winter warmer dish for those chilly evenings
- for the goulash:
- 1 large leek (washed well and diced)
- 4 medium carrots (peeled and diced)
- 4 potatoes (peeled and diced)
- 2 courgettes (diced)
- extra virgin olive oil
- 2 dsp tomato puree
- 1 lb tin of plum tomatoes
- 2 dsp paprika (smoked or regular)
- 1 l vegetable stock (blend 2 stock cubes with 1lire boiling water)
- 1 lb tin of red kidney beans (rinsed and drained)
- 1 lb tin of cannellini beans (rinsed and drained)
- sea salt
- fresh parsley (finely chopped for garnish)
- for the dumplings:
- 4 tblsp fine wholemeal flour
- 4 tblsp unbleached strong white flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 50 g cold unsalted butter
- 2 tblsp mixed parsley, tarragon, chives (finely chopped)
- sea salt
- Heat olive oil in a large pot, and over a medium heat saute the leeks.
- Add the carrots, potatoes, and courgettes and sauté for a few minutes.
- Remove from the heat and add the tomato puree, plum tomatoes, paprika, beans and the stock and add a pinch of salt, before bringing to a boil.
- For the dumplings:
- Place the flours into a large bowl and stir in the baking powder and a pinch of salt.
- Dice the butter into cubes and rub it into the flours with your finger tips until the mix resembles breadcrumbs. Stir in the herbs.
- Gradually add approximately 2 or 3 dessertspoons of cold water. With a spoon bring the mix together to form a soft dough. Do not knead.
- The goulash should have boiled by now, lower the heat.
- Take pieces of the dough and roll into balls and place into the simmering goulash. Cover with a lid and simmer for 20 minutes.
- The dumplings will triple in size. After 10 minutes cooking gently turn the dumplings over. Check the seasoning.
- Serve in a roomy bowl sprinkled with fresh parsley and a little dusting of the smoked paprika.
More by Lorraine Fitzmaurice:
- Vegetable and Tofu Kebabs with Spicy Peanut Sauce
- Muffuletta Sandwich
- Halloumi and baby potato skewers