An old favourite gets a new twist.
- 4 well flavoured apples (eg. cox's pippins , jonagold, pink lady)
- 110 g mixed dried fruits (eg. unsulphered apricots, dates, raisins)
- 25 g toasted walnuts (chopped)
- 2 tblsp almond butter
- zest of 1 orange
- 225 ml apple juice
- 1 cinnamon stick
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F/Gas 4) and wash the apples well.
- Slice a thin layer off the bottom of each apple to enable them to stand. With a corer, cut out the cores of the apples along with a little of the flesh.
- Place in an oven proof dish.
- Wash the dried fruit and chop finely. Place in a bowl with the chopped walnuts, almond butter, orange zest and mix well. Stuff into the cored apples.
- Pour in the apple juice and place the cinnamon stick into the juice.
- Bake for 30 minutes, basting with the juice a couple of times.
- To thicken the juice remove the cinnamon stick.
- Mix 1 teaspoon of arrowroot with a little cold apple juice. Add to a pot along with the warm juice and over a medium heat it will thicken.
- To Serve:
- Serve over the apples.
More by Lorraine Fitzmaurice:
- Red Cabbage, Apple: St Patrick's Day Alternative
- Vegetable and Tofu Kebabs with Spicy Peanut Sauce
- Muffuletta Sandwich