The perfect healthy dish for Halloween.
- 1 kg pumpkin (or 800g of deseeded, peeled pumpkin flesh, cut into rough wedges)
- 2 tblsp ghee (or a combination of butter and a little sunflower oil)
- 400 g tin of condensed milk
- (2tsp rose water, optional)
- 8 pistachio (blitzed or finely chopped)
- 2 green cardamom pods (black/brown seeds only, pounded or blitzed to a powder)
- Roughly line a loaf tin with baking parchment paper. (I just lay a piece of the parchment in the tin and push it down to make sure it fits). Set aside.
- Take a cheese grater and, using the ‘chunkiest’ side, grate the wedges of pumpkin onto a plate. Mind your finger tips!
- Next, combine the condensed milk, cardamom powder and rose water in a bowl. Set aside.
- Now, place a heavy bottomed saucepan, the widest you have, on a medium heat. Add the ghee, allow to melt, then slide the grated pumpkin from the plate into the pan.
- Immediately, turn down the heat to a low flame and, using a metal slotted spoon, carefully stir the mixture allowing the pumpkin to gently bubble away for about 20 minutes, until the ‘raw’ aroma disappears.
- Then, pour the condensed milk mixture from the bowl into the pan, scraping the bowl clean to get every last bit!
- Turn the heat up slightly, but continue to stir the gorgeously sticky mixture (gently and constantly) to combine all the flavours and prevent it from ‘catching’ (burning on the pan’s bottom).
- After about 10 minutes, the mixture will have thickened, come away from the sides of the pan and have formed a good gloopy mass. This is the stage you’re looking for,it’ll look a little like soft-set scrambled egg.
- Sprinkle in the pistachios. Mix through, then carefully spoon the hot mixture onto the parchment in the loaf tin, using a wetted spatula to spread it level.
- Allow to slightly cool and cut into chunky diamonds or squares then pop into to your fridge and allow to set before serving chilled.
More by Arun Kapil:
- One week 'til Pancake Tuesday: Traditional Pancake
- Baked Smoked Haddock Vegetable Kedgeree: Today
- Poached Supreme, Roast Roots, Clementine and Cardamom