Spice up your Halloween with this Pumpkin dish
- 3 tblsp ghee or sunflower oil
- 500 g onions diced
- 10 cloves (70g) garlic blitzed or finely chopped
- 800 g peeled and cubed pumpkin
- 400 g tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 tblsp grated jaggery (belam, gur) or muscavado sugar
- 100 ml warm water or (vegetarian) stock
- handful of coriander leaves for garnishing
- spice blend:
- 1 tsp mustard seeds, whole
- 1 1/2 tsp cumin seeds, ground
- 1/2 tsp chilli flakes (to your own taste and heat tolerance!)
- 3 tsp coriander, ground
- 2 tsp dried channa dahl (blitzed)
- small handful curry leaves (crushed)
- 2 tsp powdered turmeric powder
- 2 tsp green saffron’s garam masala
- pinch salt (5g)
- Heat the oil in a heavy bottomed pan, on a medium flame. Add the mustard seeds and let them splutter and spit. (Be careful not to let the hot fat jump out, onto you!)
- Immediately, add the onions and stir for a minute or two then add the garlic and allow to sweat down and become soft.
- Then add the cumin, chilli flakes, coriander, channa dahl, curry leaves, turmeric, Green Saffron Garam Masala and salt. Stir to combine everything and cook for two or three minutes.
- Add the cubes of pumpkin, the tomatoes, jaggery (or muscavado) and the water (or stock) pop the lid onto your pan and allow it all to cook (covered) on a low heat for about 15 to 20 minutes, or until the pumpkin is lovely and soft to the bite.
- Sprinkle with the coriander leaves and serve immediately with mounds of Green Saffron’s Basmati rice, Naan breads or salted and baked ‘Golden Wonder’ potatoes.
More by Arun Kapil:
- Today: Have a Liver Bit of Arun Kapil's Dinner
- Cauliflower 'Chips': Arun Kapil Today show recipe
- Sofa Chicken: Arun Kapil's Today recipe