Dermot Bannon serves up this delicious dessert on The Restaurant.
- 110 g unsalted butter
- 110 g caster sugar
- 200 g blackberries
- 200 g raspberries
- 200 g blueberries
- 200 g redcurrants
- for the ice cream:
- 600 ml double cream
- 400 ml milk
- 1 vanilla pod (split in half lengthways)
- 12 large free range egg yolks
- 150 g caster sugar
- for the pastry:
- 200 g plain flour
- 50 g icing sugar
- 110 g unsalted butter (cubed)
- 1 free range egg (beaten)
- 2 tblsp cold water
- for the crumble:
- 225 g plain flour
- 225 g brown sugar
- 110 g butter (cubed)
- 25 g oats
- First make the ice cream. Pour the cream and milk into a saucepan, add the vanilla pod and heat until just under boiling point. In a separate bowl whisk the egg yolks and sugar together until pale and thick.
- Pour the hot cream and milk over the egg mixture and whisk well. Pour this mixture into another saucepan and place over a low heat for about 10-15 minutes, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon. When the mixture coats the back of the spoon evenly it is ready. Leave to cool completely and then strain the mixture and pour into an ice cream machine and churn until thick. Keep frozen.
- To make the pastry, sieve the flour and icing sugar together and mix well.
- Use your fingertips to mix in the butter until it resembles breadcrumbs. Add the beaten egg and some of the water to the mixture until it forms a soft dough (keep adding the water until you get the right texture).
- Turn the mixture out onto a floured surface and knead for approximately 5 minutes and then wrap the pastry in Clingfilm and put in the fridge for 1 hour.
- To make the filing, melt the butter in a saucepan and stir in the sugar. Add in all of the berries and stir gently making sure they are coated in the butter mixture, leave to simmer for about one minute.
- To make the topping, sieve the flour and put in a bowl along with the brown sugar. Toss in the butter and using the tips of your fingers, rub in the butter until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs and then stir in the porridge oats.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/Gas 4
- To assemble the dish, grease and flour 6 deep individual baking tins with some butter (or alternatively you can use one 10-inch round tin ) Roll the pastry and line the tins. Fill each with the berry mixture, place a mound of crumble mixture on top and bake in the pre-heated oven for 30-40 minutes.
- Serve hot with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.
More by Dermot Bannon:
- Seared Loin of Venison with Redcurrant Jus, Parsnip Purée and Crisp Beetroot
- Lemon Curd Tartlet with Autumn Raspberries and Crème Chantilly
- Pan Seared Scallops on Black Pudding, Mint Pea Puree, Chilli Oil Dressing