A 'wow factor' starter.
- 1 small watermelon
- 30 g butter
- 2 shallots (peeled and finely diced)
- 200 g champagne (or prosecco)
- 200 ml double cream
- 1 tblsp extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves of garlic (peeled and crushed)
- 0.5 tsp sea salt
- 180 g baby mixed salad leaves
- Cut the end off the watermelon and peel the hard skin off.
- Cut 6 thick slices from the watermelon.
- Trim each so that they are about 4-inches by 2-inches in size.
- In a small saucepan sauté the butter and shallots over a medium heat for 4-5 minutes until they are soft, but not brown.
- Stir in the Champagne and bring the sauce to a boil and simmer gently until the sauce has reduced by half.
- Then add the cream and bring back tot the boil and reduce until the sauce has a thick consistency.
- Then remove from the heat and pass the sauce through a sieve and keep warm.
- Rub each watermelon slice with some extra virgin olive oil a little garlic and sea salt.
- In a cast iron griddle sear the watermelon steaks on both sides for 2-3 minutes on each side until they are caramelised.
- Place each watermelon steak in the centre of a plate, drizzle generously with the Champagne sauce and garnish with some baby salad leaves.