- 1 ham (soaked in cold water overnight)
- 1 carrot (sliced)
- stick celery (sliced)
- 4 bay leaves
- 1 onion (peeled & sliced)
- for the honey & mustard glaze:
- 2 tblsp cloves
- 2 tblsp brown sugar
- 2 tblsp english mustard or dijon
- 3 tblsp honey
- 1 bottle cider
- Place ham in a large pot and cover with cold water.
- Add other ingredients, bring to the boil.
- Simmer and cook ham for 15 minutes per lb approx.
- Leave to cool in cooking liquid.
- Remove ham (you could use the strained liquid to cook the sprouts or cabbage).
- Remove excess fat but leave at least ½ inch.
- With a sharp knife make a criss cross incisions.
- Brush the joint with the mustard.
- Stud with cloves & sprinkle with the brown sugar & honey over the top.
- Add cider to the tray.
- Place in oven at 160°C for 1 hour until golden.
- Continue to baste ham during cooking.
Use your RTE ID to Join
- Upload your style photos
- Create and save recipes
- Review and Comment
- Have your say