Poached smoked haddock
- 130 g smoked haddock(per portion)
- 250 g butter
- 1 pint chicken stock
- 2 shalots
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 sprig thyme
- 1 bayleaf
- 4 tarragon sprigs
German style potatoes
- 1 tblsp dill
- 4 tsp cider vinegar
- 450 g (or 500g) new potatoes
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 large onion (finely diced)
- 1 tsp wholegrain mustard
- Bring all the ingredients for the poaching liquor- except the butter to the boil and simmer for ten minutes. Dice the butter and slowly whisk into the liquor. Keep warm.
- Poach the haddock for 3 minutes.
- Pour liquor over haddock and serve with potatoes.
- First make the potato salad. Wash the potatoes and boil them ion their skins. Then drain them and put them back in the pan.
- When they have dried, peel them, while they are still hot.
- While the potatoes are cooking, pour the vinegar into a non reactive pan, bring to the boil and add the onions. Allow the vinegar to evaporate and the onions to soften.
- Put a clean tea towel over the top and replace the lid. Leave for a few minutes. The heat will steam off the excess moisture in the potatoes.
- When the onions are soft, stir in the mustard. Mix into the potatoes, season to taste, add some dill and stir through do that all the potatoes are dressed with the warm dressing.