- 4 t-bone steaks
- vegetable oil
- salt and black pepper
- for the turnip gratin:
- 500 g turnip
- butter, for greasing
- 250 ml double cream
- 50 ml crème fraiche
- 50 ml dijon mustard
- 100 g gruyere cheese (grated)
- Heat the oven to 220°C (Gas 7) and butter a lasagna dish around 5-7.5 deep. Peel and slice the turnips and leave them to soak in cold water while you do the rest of the preparation.
- Bring the cream to the boil in the saucepan and immediately take the pan off the heat. Stir in the crème fraiche and mustard.
- Put a kettle of water to the boil. Drain the turnips and put in a heatproof bowl. Cover with the boiling water and leave to blanch for 2 minutes. Drain well.
- Gently mix the cream mixture with the turnips, then pour into the buttered pie dish.
- Sprinkle with the cheese.
- Tap the dish so it all packs down and bake for 20 minutes or until really brown on top.
- While that’s in the oven, cook the steaks. They will need 8 minutes if just a T-bone or 12 minutes for a thick Toscana.
- Leave a ridged cast-iron plate over a high heat for 10 minutes before you even think about putting the steaks on it.
- Rub the steaks with oil and season both sides.
- Open the window so smoke can escape. Place the steaks on the griddle and leave for 2 minutes, then flip and repeat.
- Cook as long as you need and then leave them to rest. You can put really thick steaks in the oven (still on the griddle) to finish if you like.
- Serve with turnip gratin. T-bones also taste great with gratin dauphinoise.
Use your RTE ID to Join
- Upload your style photos
- Create and save recipes
- Review and Comment
- Have your say