- 200 g good quality dark chocolate (minimum 65% cocoa solids)
- 1 tblsp double strength espresso coffee (hot)
- 200 g butter softened
- 200 g sugar
- 5 eggs
- 1 tblsp flour
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F/Gas 4). Grease and flour a 25cm sandwich tin.
- Break the chocolate into small pieces and place in a mixing bowl.
- Set the bowl over barely simmering water and pour on the hot coffee.
- Stir until chocolate has melted then add the butter and let it melt in to the chocolate.
- Add the sugar and stir well, then break the eggs into the mixture one at a time mixing well after each egg has been added. Finally mix in the flour.
- Pour the mixture into the sandwich tin and bake for 20-25 minutes. The cake should be very moist in the middle.
- Leave the cake to cool completely before turning out. Ideally, you should wait till the next day before serving it - chocolate cakes are always better when they have settled down a little, and in this case, where we are concentrating on pure and simple flavours, it is even more advisable.
- To Make the Glaze:
- Melt some chocolate and butter in a pan over simmering water.
- Add 2 tablespoons of water and mix until the mixture reaches a thick fudge-like consistency.
- Allow to cool slightly before pouring over the cake.
- Allow the cake to sit in a cool place for approximately 2 hours before enjoying,