Something new for seafood lovers.
- 4 sea urchins
- 0.5 a carrot (very finely diced)
- 0.25 a celeriac (very finely diced)
- 20 ml olive oil
- 200 ml double cream
- 5 g unsalted butter
- ½ clove of garlic
- ½ a shallot
- freshly milled white peppercorns
- Preparing the Sea Urchin:
- To prepare the sea urchins make an incision on the top of the sea urchin taking a third off the top (much like topping an egg).
- Keep the removed top aside to use in making the sauce.
- Remove the flesh from the centre with a small teaspoon taking care not to damage the flesh.
- Place flesh in a bowl.
- Strain the juice into a separate small bowl.
- Wash the shells and heat slightly in oven at 50°C for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Sea Urchin Cream:
- Place cream, shallot and garlic (not crushed as they are used just to scent and slightly taste the cream only) into a pot.
- Bring to the boil and simmer allowing the liquid to reduce by half.
- Pour in sea urchin juice and crushed shell and bring back to the boil. Reduce by half.
- Remove and pass through a fine sieve.
- Then place back in pot and add fold in the butter over a low heat.
- Slightly sauté celeriac and carrot in a little olive oil (two to three minutes only. Season with pepper.
- To Serve:
- Fill the shells to half full with vegetable brunoise. Place the sea urchin flesh on top and spoon cream over sea urchin flesh. Place other half of shell over cream.