Something new for seafood lovers.
- 4 sea urchins
- 0.5 a carrot (very finely diced)
- 0.25 a celeriac (very finely diced)
- 20 ml olive oil
- 200 ml double cream
- 5 g unsalted butter
- ½ clove of garlic
- ½ a shallot
- freshly milled white peppercorns
- Preparing the Sea Urchin:
- To prepare the sea urchins make an incision on the top of the sea urchin taking a third off the top (much like topping an egg).
- Keep the removed top aside to use in making the sauce.
- Remove the flesh from the centre with a small teaspoon taking care not to damage the flesh.
- Place flesh in a bowl.
- Strain the juice into a separate small bowl.
- Wash the shells and heat slightly in oven at 50°C for 2 to 3 minutes.
- Sea Urchin Cream:
- Place cream, shallot and garlic (not crushed as they are used just to scent and slightly taste the cream only) into a pot.
- Bring to the boil and simmer allowing the liquid to reduce by half.
- Pour in sea urchin juice and crushed shell and bring back to the boil. Reduce by half.
- Remove and pass through a fine sieve.
- Then place back in pot and add fold in the butter over a low heat.
- Slightly sauté celeriac and carrot in a little olive oil (two to three minutes only. Season with pepper.
- To Serve:
- Fill the shells to half full with vegetable brunoise. Place the sea urchin flesh on top and spoon cream over sea urchin flesh. Place other half of shell over cream.
More by Kevin Thornton:
- Loin of Rabbit with Carrot Cones, Pearl Onions, Truffle Sauce
- Poached Burgundy Pears with Pear Parfait and Sorbet
- Roast King Scallop With Sugar Snap, Caviar and Gold Leaf