Sinfully delicious for an extra special occasion.
- 4 large free-range egg whites
- 225 g caster sugar
- 2 tsp corn flour
- 1/2 tspvanilla essence
- 1 tsp white wine vinegar or 1/2 tsp cream of tartar
- toffee sauce
- 200 g caster sugar
- 150 g butter
- 300 ml cream
- 1 punnet of raspberries, blueberries, strawberries
- 1/4 cup sugar
- For Meringue
- Preheat oven to 350°F. and line a large baking sheet with foil. In a large bowl with an electric mixer beat together whites, sugar, corn flour, vinegar, and vanilla on low speed until just combined. Beat on high speed 3 to 5 minutes or until mixture forms stiff, glossy peaks.
- Spoon meringue mixture onto baking sheet and spread into a 9- to 10-inch circle. Bake Pavlova in middle of oven 10 minutes. Reduce temperature to 200° F. and bake Pavlova 40 minutes more. Turn off oven and let Pavlova stand in oven 1 hour. Transfer Pavlova to a rack and cool completely. (Pavlova will be hard on outer surface and soft inside.)
- For the fresh fruit
- Add all fruit together, two hours before serving and mix with the sugar so the fruits will be sweet.
- Beat the whipping cream until it holds soft peaks and spread over Pavlova. Add the fruit on top of whipped cream.
- When making the toffee sauce. Remember to have a clean sauce pan. Wipe with lemon juice.
- Add the butter to medium hot saucepan. When melted add the sugar and mix till it turns a caramelised brown colour.
- Add the cream and bring to the boil. Simmer for five minutes and let cool.
- When cold, add the sticky toffee sauce over the Pavlova with the fruit on top and serve.