Make sure to get your kids involved with making this fun dessert!
- for the apple jelly:
- 800 ml fresh apple juice
- 6 each leaf gelatin
- 50 g blueberries
- 50 g raspberries
- 2 each bananas
- for the brulee cream:
- 250 ml milk
- 250 ml cream
- 220 g egg yolks (pasteurized, 8 fresh yolks)
- 1 each vanilla pod
- 100 g caster sugar
- To make the Apple Jelly:
- You can choose to juice your own or buy fresh apple juice. It is possible to make this jelly using other fruit juices however, it is important you only use fruit that has a low acid level. High acid level fruit like oranges or pineapple can affect the setting of your jelly. Red fruits in general work best.
- Pre soak the gelatin leaves in a little water for about 10 minutes. If you are using powdered gelatin simply follow the instructions on the side of the pack. Heat the gelatin and a small drop of water in the pot until it has dissolved.
- Add the juice to the pot but pour it back into a bowl quickly to avoid heating the juice. It is important to taste your jelly now and decide if you would prefer a little sugar in it or not.
- Line the moulds you are using to set the jelly with freshly sliced fruit. Again you can choose your own fruit type but you should avoid oranges or pineapples. Pour the cooled jelly mix into the mould and allow setting over night.
- To make the Brulle Cream:
- Split the vanilla pod in half and scrape the seeds out. Place the pod in a pot and the seeds into a mixing bowl. Pour the cream into this pot and heat gently.
- Put the egg yolks, sugar and seeds into a bowl and mix lightly.
- Once the cream has come to a simmer pour it over the eggs, whisking all the time. Allow this mix to rest for a short time, until any foam on the top has relaxed.
- Pour the mix into an oven proof bowl and place this bowl into a water bath before placing in an oven. Cook at 120°C for 30 minutes and allow cooling over night
- To Present:
- Dip the jelly into a little warm water to help remove it from the ring and put the jelly on one side of the plate. Use a spoon or an ice cream scoop to give you a ball of vanilla cream and place on the opposite side. Dust a little pistachio crumb in the centre and garnish with a few candied blue berries.
More by Richie Wilson:
- Barbequed Leg Of Lamb with Rosemary Marinade and Granny's Potatoes with Summer Salad
- Burger and Chips
- Hot Chocolate Fondant - Lemon And White Chocolate Mini Eggs In Orange Caramel Sauce