Try this deliciously crispy squid served with a garlic dipping sauce.
- for the squid:
- 400 g squid tubes
- 100 g plain flour
- 1/2 teaspoon spanish hot smoked paprika
- 1 tsp salt
- for the aioli:
- 1 bulb of roast garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon fine salt
- 2 large egg yolks
- 60 ml light extra virgin olive oil
- 100-125 ml vegetable oil
- To make the squid:
- Rinse the squid under running cold water and pat dry using kitchen paper.
- Cut the tubes along one side to open them out. Using a sharp Knife, Lightly score the inside surface of each tube in a criss-cross pattern, making sure that you do not cut through.
- Then cut them into about 4cm. Cut the tentacles, if you have them, into smaller bite sized pieces. Heat the fryer to 190°C.
- While the oil is heating, combine the flour, paprika and salt in a bowl.
- Add the squid and mix until well coated. Shake off the squid and add to oil in batches. Cooking for 1-2 minutes each batch or until golden, Crispy and cooked through.
- Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper. Serve warm with Aioli on the side.
- To make the Aioli:
- Roast garlic in tin foil with a little oil and thyme at 150°C for 1 hour to 1 1/2 hour. Allow to cool, then squeeze the flesh out of each clove. Put the garlic in a small food processor add the egg yolks and mix well.
- With the machine running, slowly add the combined oil, small quantities at a time, until the mixture is very thick. Use immediately or transfer to an airtight container or jar and refrigerate for up to 2 days.