A delightful apple pie best eaten warm!
- for the pastry:
- 275 g cream flour
- 75 g icing sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 175 g unsalted butter (cubed and chilled)
- 1 large egg
- 2 tblsp cold water
- for the filling:
- 10 large apples (half cooking apples and half golden delicious)
- 50 g butter
- 100 g caster sugar
- 1 tblsp cornflour
- To make the Pastry:
- In a large bowl sieve flour, sugar and cinnamon. Using the tips of your fingers, gently rub the butter into the flour mix until it resembles fine breadcrumbs.
- Using a fork, add egg and cold water to bind. Take pastry out of the bowl and gently press it into a ball shape. Cover with cling and put in the fridge for half an hour.
- To make the Filling:
- Peel and finely slice the apples. Melt the butter in a saucepan and add sugar - cook for 2 mins. Add apples and cook for 5 mins
- Add cornflour and stir. Allow to cool.
- To assemble the pie:
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Line a 10" spring form tin. Fill lined tin with the apples. Roll out remaining pastry to cover the top. Allow to rest for 20 mins
- Bake for 30/40 mins.