A great seasonal starter which is very simple to do.
- 8 fresh whole sardines
- 3 blood oranges
- 35 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 35 ml grape seed oil
- 400 g mixed leaves (rocket, mizuna, red chard, mustard leaves)
- 1 medium beetroot (peeled)
- 2 shallots (peeled)
- salt and pepper
- Scale and remove the heads and guts from sardines. Wash and dry.
- Segment two oranges and squeeze the remaining juice from the third fruit.
- Reduce by two thirds and add oils, season and taste.
- Cut the beetroot into matchstick size and season - dress lightly with vinaigrette.
- Slice the shallots sideways into rounds.
- To Serve:
- Preheat grill.
- On a baking tray oil the sardines and season. Place under the grill for 6-7 minutes.
- Dress the salad leaves with vinaigrette.
- Combine ingredients and arrange on a plate.
More by Brian McCann:
- Penne Pasta, Fresh Pesto with Olives, Sun-dried Tomatoes and Parmesan
- Penne pasta, Cashel blue cheese, red wine pears, leeks, rocket, hazelnut
- Pear and almond tart