A cake with a difference!
- 150 g dark chocolate (55%)
- 150 g unsalted butter
- 200 g light brown sugar
- 230 g self-raising flour
- 50 g cocoa powder
- 200 g cooked beetroot (you can buy them in vacuum packs in supermarkets, make sure they are not pickled)
- 3 large eggs
- cream cheese frosting:
- 200 g cream cheese
- 200g unsalted butter (at room temperature)
- 200 g icing sugar
- 1 tblsp vanilla bean paste
- beat all the above together and leave in a covered bowl until ready to use
- chocolate sauce:
- 100 g dark chocolate
- 4 floz hot water
- Preheat oven to 180°C and grease and line 9" round tin.
- Mix the cocoa powder and self raising flour together and sift into a bowl and mix in the sugar, then melt the chocolate and butter in the microwave.
- Puree the beetroot and beat the eggs. Then whisk them into the pureed beetroot.
- Add the chocolate and beetroot mixture to the dry ingredients and mix well.
- Put into the prepared cake tin and cook for approx 40 minutes.
- Test the centre of the cake with a skewer and if it doesn’t have any mixture sticking to it, it cooked.
- After taking the cake out of the oven, leave it for about 10 minutes.
- Then turn it out carefully onto a rack and allow to cool.
- Cut the cake into half and spread a half of the frosting on it, put the other half on top and use the rest of the frosting.
- To make the chocolate sauce, break the chocolate into small pieces, pour the hot water over the chocolate and stir until chocolate is melted.
- Slice the cake and drizzle it with chocolate sauce to serve.