This recipe is more 'Blue Peter' than actual cooking but the results are bound to be a talking point with your guests for the rest of the evening - reveal nothing!
- 4 tblsp lightly whipped cream
- 50 g mixed berries (such has halved strawberries, blueberries and raspberries)
- 4 small scoops grand marnier ice cream
- 4 spun-sugar discs
- 4 tblsp fruit compote
- for the tuile biscuits
- 50 g unsalted butter (softened)
- 100 g icing sugar (sifted)
- finely grated rind of 1 small orange
- 2 tblsp honey
- 100 g egg whites
- 100 g plain flour (sifted)
- To make the tuile biscuits, cream the butter in a bowl with the sugar and orange rind until pale and fluffy. Slowly add the honey and continue to beat until well mixed, then gradually add the egg whites, beating well after each addition.
- Beat the flour into the tuile mixture until thoroughly smooth. Cover with cling film and place in the fridge to rest for at least 1 hour or up to 24 hours is fine.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C (350°F/Gas 4). Spoon the tuile mixture into a piping bag with a nozzle that is 0.25 cm/1/8 in wide. Line two large baking sheets with non-stick parchment paper. To make each basket, pipe an L shape.
- Shape each L shape into a boot.
- Fill each boot shape with trelace and repeat until you have 4 baskets in total. Any remaining mixture will freeze very well to use for another time.
- Bake for 5-6 minutes until just cooked through and lightly coloured.
- Remove from the oven, and working quickly with a palette knife while the biscuits are still hot, gently bend them around a rolling pin into baskets, holding until set - just be careful of your fingers! Transfer to a wire rack and leave to cool.
- To serve, place the cream in a piping bag Pipe a little into the middle of each serving plate and use to secure the tuile cages in an upright position, then carefully fill with the berries. Add a scoop of the ice cream on top of each one and decorate with the spun-sugar discs, then spoon around the fruit compote.
- Fruit Compote: 200g Frozen mixed berries, 100g caster sugar
- Melt the fruits and the sugar in a saucepan over a gentle heat for about 5-6 minutes or until the fruits have softened completely.
More by Kevin Dundon:
- Saturday Brunch: Crêpes Suzette with Strawberries
- Chocolate Chip Cookies: Just Add Milk!
- Strawberry and Banana Iced Lolly Pops