A tasty gluten free, dairy free, sugar free and vegan receipe.
- 200 g chickpeas (soaked overnight)
- 1 inch piece kombu seaweed
- a large sweet potato (400g)
- pumpkin or butter nut squash (400g)
- 2 medium red onions (diced)
- 4 cloves garlic (chopped fine)
- 1 red chilli (de-seeded and chopped fine)
- 2 tsp coriander seeds
- 2 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp black mustard seeds
- 1 1/2 teaspoons turmeric
- 1 inch piece of fresh ginger (peeled and finely chopped)
- 1 tin (1lb) tin tomatoes.
- 2 tblsp fresh coriander (roughly chopped)
- 2 tblsp sunflower oil
- sea salt
- Soak the chickpeas and the kombu in plenty of cold water either overnight or for 8 hours. Drain and place in a tightly lidded pot with the kombu and plenty of fresh water.
- Place the lid on top and bring to the boil. Then lower the heat and simmer for 1 hour. Drain and reserve the cooking liquid.
- Place the cumin seeds and coriander seeds in an oven proof bowl and toast for approx 20 minutes at Gas 6, before removing and then grind finely in a mortar and pestle.
- Heat the oil in a large pot over a medium to low heat and sauté the onion until soft but not brown.
- Add the mustard seeds and allow to pop for a few seconds and add the garlic, chilli, ground cumin and coriander, turmeric, and ginger and cook for a further 2 minutes.
- Stir in the chopped tomatoes, sweet potato and pumpkin and chickpeas.
- Add 500ml water or liquid from cooked chickpeas. Bring to a boil, lower heat to a gentle simmer and cook until the squash is tender (about 15 minutes).
- Season well and stir in the fresh coriander.
- Serve with rice.
More by Lorraine Fitzmaurice:
- Red Cabbage, Apple: St Patrick's Day Alternative
- Vegetable and Tofu Kebabs with Spicy Peanut Sauce
- Muffuletta Sandwich