A traditional dish with a modern twist.
- 1 kg of chuck steak diced large
- 10 g flour
- 1 l beef stock
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 bunch of thyme
- 100 g button mushrooms
- 2 onions
- 2 carrots
- 2 parsnips
- 1 turnip
- a little olive oil
- unsalted butter
- 1 bottle of irish beer (330cl)
- sea salt,
- cracked black pepper
- italian leaf parsley
- Begin by leaving the beef to marinate in the beer overnight with the bay leaves and a little thyme.
- When ready to cook, heat the oven to 160°C. Remove the beef from the marinade and sauté over a medium heat in a mixture of a little butter and a tablespoon of olive oil.
- Brown all the pieces of meat all over then sprinkle with a little flour and leave to cook for another couple of minutes to 'singe' these. Remove from pot and keep in a bowl.
- Slice the onions (or cut into quarters if preferred) and place in the same pot adding a little more oil and butter if needed and stir over a medium heat for a few minutes until they soften.
- Return the beef to the pot with the onions and add to this the beef and then its marinade including the bay and thyme. Bring to the boil, add the stock, allow to boil and then reduce to simmer.
- Cover with the lid of the pot and place in the oven for two hours. Halfway through this time, add the mushrooms to this mix.
- Prep all the root vegetables by peeling them and cutting them into irregular bite-sized pieces. Blanch them in boiling water, drain and refresh then toss them in olive oil, chopped thyme salt and pepper and place uncovered in the same oven to roast and to colour. Remove when ready.
- When beef is tender remove the casserole from the oven and place over a medium flame. Further reduce the liquid if required to thicken the sauce and coat the meat. Add the root vegetables to this; mix in well and correct the seasoning.
- Garnish with Italian leaf parsley
More by Eamonn Ó Cathain:
- Steamed Baby Leeks With Mustard Sauce And Hard Boiled Eggs
- Chorizo with Haricot Beans and Red Wine
- Roast Lamb with Rosemary and Sage Pesto with Rosemary and Lemon Roast Potatoes