A flavour-packed healthy dish.
- 8 sheets of filo pastry (1/2 packet)
- 60 g pinenuts
- 1 onion (finely diced)
- 2 cloves of garlic (minced)
- 1 tsp fresh thyme leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh rosemary sprigs
- 2 tsp fresh oregano leaves
- extra virgin olive oil
- 500 g spinach leaves (stems removed and washed well)
- natural sea salt
- 2 free range whole eggs
- 2 free range egg yolks
- 115 g ricotta cheese
- 225 g feta cheese
- 100 ml milk
- coarsely ground black pepper
- Set the oven to 190°C (375°F/Gas 5).
- Remove the filo from the freezer and allow to defrost. Then place the pinenuts on a baking tray and toast in the oven for 10 minutes. Set aside.
- Saute the onion and garlic in a little olive oil until soft.
- Shake any excess water from the spinach leaves and shred finely.
- Add to the onion and garlic along with the chopped herbs and cook until the spinach is wilted and season with a little salt.
- Remove and place in a bowl, leaving behind any excess liquid. Allow to cool and combime with the ricotta and eggs and milk.
- Brush a 10in x 8in x 2in ovenproof dish with olive oil. Spread out the filo pastry and halve. Cover with a damp cloth.
- Lay a sheet of filo into the tray folding in the edges to make fit evenly. Lightly brush with olive oil. Continue with 7 more sheets of filo, lightly oiling each sheet. Sprinkle half the toasted pineuts throughout the layers.
- Pour the spinach mixture over the pastry sheets, crumble the feta cheese evenly over the mix and season with a little pepper. Continue layering the filo sheets on top , lightly brushing each sheet with olive oil, and scatter the remaining pineuts loosely throughout.
- Finish off by brushing the top with olive oil and place on the bottom shelf of a pre heated oven.
- Bake for 40/45 minutes until set and brown.
- *If you are not baking right away, place in the fridge until needed and bake as above.
More by Lorraine Fitzmaurice:
- Muffuletta Sandwich
- Red Cabbage, Apple: St Patrick's Day Alternative
- Layered Spinach And Ricotta Crepes With Sauté Mush