Make your own pizza dough from scratch and try these delicious toppings!
- for the pizza base: (makes 2 large pizza)
- 675 g strong white unbleached white flour, plus extra for dusting
- 2 7g sachets easy blend dried yeast (about 1 tablespoon in total)
- 600 ml hand-hot water
- 1 tsp salt
- olive oil, for greasing
- for the toppings:
- 50 g oven dried tomatoes
- 100 g crumbled abbey blue cheese
- 20 g chopped flat leaf parsley
- 4 slices of cured ham
- a drizzle of herb oil
- cracked pepper
- To make the pizza base. Place the flour in the bowl of a food mixer fitted with a dough attachment if you have one. Add the yeast, hand-hot water and salt. Switch on the machine and mix until you have a very sloppy dough. You can also do this by hand and mix with your fingers for 2-3 minutes, then knead to incorporate the flour, scraping the sides of the bowl and folding the dough over itself until it gathers into a rough mass.
- Turn the dough out on to a well floured surface; lightly flour your hands. Knead for 6-8 minutes until the dough is smooth and pliable. The dough will be very sticky at first; keep your hands and the work surface lightly floured, using a dough scraper if necessary to prevent it from sticking and building up on the work surface. As you continue kneading, the dough will become more elastic and easier to handle. Shape into a loose ball, then return it to a clean bowl and cover with cling film. Leave to rest for 20 minutes.
- Turn the dough out again on to a well floured surface and knead for 2-3 minutes or until it becomes springy and very smooth. Shape into a loose ball and place it in a lightly oiled large bowl. Turn to coat the dough with the oil and cover tightly with cling film. Leave to rise at room temperature (75°-77°F) for 1 hour, or until it looks slightly puffy but has not doubled in size. Then roll out into 12" disks and place on a baking tray.
- Place all the ingredients on top on the pizza base and cook in the oven 220c for 15 mins. To serve drizzle the herb oil over top serve hot.
More by Kevin Dundon:
- Indulgent Chocolate Fondants: Kevin Dundon, Today
- Roasted Lamb Noisette, warmed tomato, pale ale
- Salmon Fillet, Chili Pesto: Today, Kevin Dundon