Marinate this vegetable stock for 24 hours for an intense flavour.
- 3 onions (roughly chopped)
- 1 leek (roughly chopped)
- 2 celery sticks (roughly chopped)
- 6 carrots (roughly chopped)
- 1/4 tablespoon white peppercorns
- 1/4 teaspoon pink peppercorns
- 1 small bay leaf
- 1 fresh sprig of each, basil, coriander, thyme, parsley, chervil and tarragon tied together with string
- 200 ml white wine
- Place the onions, leek, celery and carrots in a stockpot or large pan. Add the peppercorns and herbs. Pour in 2 litres/3 1/2 pints of water and bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the wine, then push the herbs right down into the liquid and set aside to cool completely. When the stock is cold, transfer to a large jug or bowl. Cover with cling film and chill for 24 hours.
- The next day, strain the stock through a muslin-lined colander into a clean jug or bowl, discarding the vegetables, peppercorns and herbs.
- Cover with cling film and place in the fridge. Use within three days, or freeze into 500 ml/18 fl oz sealable plastic containers and use within a month.
More by Kevin Dundon:
- Indulgent Chocolate Fondants: Kevin Dundon, Today
- Roasted Lamb Noisette, warmed tomato, pale ale
- Salmon Fillet, Chili Pesto: Today, Kevin Dundon