This is a great any-time-of-the-day cake, try it with fresh sliced fruit and yogurt for a divine breakfast.
- 1 cup natural yoghurt
- 2 eggs
- ¾ cup sunflower oil
- 1 lemon (zest and juice)
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cup sugar - 2 cups (you can use a mixture of muscovado and granulated sugars)
- ¼ cup pistachios (shelled and chopped)
- 3 cup flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 3 tblsp icing sugar
- Preheat oven to 180°C. Grease a 22cm springform cake tin and line the base with baking paper.
- Put yoghurt, eggs, sunflower oil, sugar, lemon zest and vanilla extract into a large bowl and mix well with a wooden spoon. Add the pistachio nuts to the bowl, sift the flour and baking powder over and mix gently until combined.
- Pour and scrape the cake batter into the prepared tin and bake for 40-45 minutes until risen, golden brown and a cake tester - or knife - comes out clean.
- Just before the cake is ready, mix the lemon juice with the icing sugar. Place the tin on a wire rack and pour the sugary lemon juice over while it is still hot. Allow to cool in the tin. When cold, carefully remove from the tin and serve with fresh seasonal fruit and extra yoghurt.
More by Caroline Hennessy:
- Caroline's Braised lamb shanks with Orange Gremolata
- Caroline Hennessy's Love of Irish Lamb
- Chocolate Brownies