Make your Sunday roast even nicer with this roast chicken served with champ, leek gratin and a delicious sauce.
- 1 medium-sized free range chicken
- salt, pepper
- peanut oil
- irish mustard
- for the sauce:
- 1.5 kg petits pois (frozen will do fine)
- 400 g creme fraiche
- 1 large bunch of parsley
- 50 g butter
- 200 g diced smoked ham
- for the leek gratin:
- 3-4 medium leeks
- pinch nutmeg
- small tub of pouring cream
- for the champ:
- 1 kg large potatoes, such as roosters
- 1 bunch of scallions
- 250 ml milk
- Begin by searing the chicken all over in a pan with a mixture of oil and a little butter. When nicely coloured, transfer to an oven dish and roast at around 200°C for around an hour or until the juices run clear.
- Make the sauce by gently melting the butter in a pot and then add the peas and allow to "sweat" for a few minutes. Then add all the cream plus the chopped parsley and allow to simmer for a further 20 minutes. Then blend this in a mixer and push through a sieve or "chinois". Season.
- Dice all the potatoes and boil in a pot until cooked: heat the milk with the chopped scallions, season liberally with salt and pepper and allow to simmer for five minutes. Mash the potatoes and then add the hot milk and scallion mixture to them and mix well.
- Cut the leeks into rounds and cook quickly in some boiling salted water. Drain and season with salt, black pepper and nutmeg. Cream with a little of the pouring cream and transfer to a gratin dish. Place in the oven until brown on top.
- Ten minutes before the chicken is ready, remove from oven and spread with mustard around the breasts. When cooked, remove from oven tray and allow to sit. Deglaze the pan with a little white wine and add the juices to the pea sauce. Now sauté the diced smoked ham and add this too to the pea sauce.
- To serve
- Spoon some of the sauce onto the plate and place a carved breast of chicken on top (or leg). Serve the gratin of leeks on the side and a dollop of champ.
More by Eamonn Ó Cathain:
- Steamed Baby Leeks With Mustard Sauce And Hard Boiled Eggs
- Chorizo with Haricot Beans and Red Wine
- Roast Lamb with Rosemary and Sage Pesto with Rosemary and Lemon Roast Potatoes