The pears improve with keeping, so make these early for your dinner parties!
- 4 firm, ripe pears
- 1 small lemon (cut into quarters)
- 1 small orange (cut into quarters)
- 250 g caster sugar
- 500 ml red wine
- Peel the pears, leaving the stalks in place and remove the cores.
- Stand them upright in a pan that fits them comfortably and add the lemon, orange, sugar and wine.
- Add a little water if the pears are not completely covered in liquid and bring to a simmer, then cook for 40-45 minutes until completely tender.
- Remove from the heat and leave to cool in the liquid for at least 2 hours or the next day is best to allow the flavours to infuse.
More by Kevin Dundon:
- Saturday Brunch: Crêpes Suzette with Strawberries
- Chocolate Chip Cookies: Just Add Milk!
- Strawberry and Banana Iced Lolly Pops