This roasted cheese is great as an appetizer.
- 1 individual sheep's cheese
- 2 tblsp honey
- 1 branch of thyme chopped fine
- twist of black pepper
- olive oil
- for the chutney:
- 125 g dried apricot
- 1 tblsp balsamic vinegar
- 2 tblsp soy sauce
- 4 tblsp rice wine
- 1 tblsp sesame oil
- 2 tblsp peanut oil
- 1 clove of garlic
- 2 shallots
- 1 onion
- 12 whole walnuts
- 1 tbs honey
- Begin by finely chopping the shallots, onion and walnuts. Chop up all the walnuts.
- Mix the two oils in a saucepan and sweat the onion and shallots together. After a few minutes add all the walnuts and reduce the heat.
- Then add the soy sauce, rice wine and balsamic vinegar and leave simmer for a short while.
- Now add the dried apricots; Crush the clove of garlic and add to the mix and leave to simmer for ten minutes.
- Transfer to a cold bowl and leave to cool. At this point test for taste and adjust with honey and/or salt and pepper.
- Brush the cheese with oil and place in an oven for a few mins at 175°C. Take out and drizzle with honey, chopped thyme and black pepper.
- Return to the heat for a few more minutes until soft then serve accompanied with this chutney.
More by Eamon Ó Cathain:
- Steamed Baby Leeks With Mustard Sauce And Hard Boiled Eggs
- Chorizo with Haricot Beans and Red Wine
- Roast Lamb with Rosemary and Sage Pesto with Rosemary and Lemon Roast Potatoes