A delectable combination of smoked fish and cheese.
- 225 g smoked salmon slices
- 225 g cream cheese
- 1 tblsp snipped fresh chives
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- 25 g baby salad leaves
- 2 tblsp dalkey mustard dressing
- for the pancakes:
- 50 g plain flour
- 1 small egg
- 150ml milk
- sunflower oil, for frying
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- lemon wedges to serve
- To make the pancakes, sift the flour into a bowl with a pinch of salt, then make a well in the centre. Break the egg into the well and add a little of the milk. Mis the liquid ingredients together, then greadually beat in the flour until smooth. Beat in enough of the remaining milk until you have achieved the consistency of thin cream. Cover with cling film and leave to set in the fridge for 20 minutes.
- Heat a heavy frying pan. When hot, brush with the minimum of oil. Pour a small amount of the batter, about a quarter of the mix is right. Swirl it around until it is evenly and thinly spread over the bottom. Cook over a moderates to high heat for about 1 minute or until the edges are curling and the underside is golden.
- Turn the pancake onto a plate and repeat until you have four pancakes in total, lightly oiling the pan between pancakes. Leave to cool, then using a 5cm/2incutter that is 5cm/2in deep, stamp out three circles from each pancake.
- Using the same cutter, stamp out eight circles from the smoked salmon, then cut the remainder into strips and reserve. Whip the cream cheese in a bowl with the chives and lemon juice. Season to taste.
- To Serve
- Lint the cutter with cling film and set on a serving plate, Put a pancake round in the bottom of the cutter and add a spoonful of the chive cream cheese. Cover with a layer of the smoked salmon and then add another spoonful of the chive cream cheese.
- Repeat these layers and finish with a pancake round. Carefully remove the cutter and repeat until you have four in total. Place the salad leaves in a bowl, season and add enough of the dressing to lightly coat the leaves. Add a pile to each plate with the reserved smoked salmon strips. Drizzle around the remaining dressing and garnish with the lemon wedges.