A Sunday treat that the whole family can enjoy.
- 6 lamb shanks
- 100 g plain flour (with the addition of salt and pepper)
- 18 pearl onions
- 3 carrots (peeled and diced into chunks)
- 1 bunch of thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 2/3 sprigs of rosemary
- 300 ml red wine
- 500 ml chicken/lamb stock
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 tsp tomato puree
- Cut the vegetables into large chunks. Heat a large deep pan and seal the lamb shanks having first coated them in the seasoned flour. Remove from the pan and transfer to a large casserole dish.
- Add the remainder of the seasoned flour left over after coating the lamb to the pan and stir around until it has darkened in colour and removed/soaked up all the residue from the pan. Stir in the tomato puree.
- Pour the wine and stock into the pan, bring to the boil and reduce by about a third. Put the vegetables into the casserole pot with the lamb, together with the herbs and seasoning.
- Add the reduced wine and the stock to the casserole dish and cover. Bake in the oven for 2 -2 1/2 hours at 150°C.
- Remove from the oven and make sure the meat is tender, if not return to the oven for another few minutes. Remove the meat from the casserole dish and boil the liquid until reduced or thickened.
- For the potatoes
- Roast one bulb of garlic for 30 minutes and squeeze out the pulp.
- Mash some potatoes as you would normally and mix the garlic in with it.
- Return the lamb to the sauce and serve alongside the potatoes.
- Garnish with freshly chopped parsley.
More by Kevin Dundon:
- Indulgent Chocolate Fondants: Kevin Dundon, Today
- Roasted Lamb Noisette, warmed tomato, pale ale
- Salmon Fillet, Chili Pesto: Today, Kevin Dundon