A tasty cake is suitable for diabetics.
- for the cake:
- 80 ml sunflower oil
- 4 egg yolks
- 120 ml water
- 1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract (sugar free)
- 200 g plain flour
- 200 g sugar equivalent (splenda)
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 4 egg whites
- for the filling:
- 1 tin apricots (in natural juice)
- 1 tub frommage frais
- 1 tsp gelatine
- For the cake:
- Whip the sunflour oil and egg yolks together until combined, then add water and vanilla extract
- Sift together plain flour and half the splenda, and the baking powder. Stir into the egg mixture and whip for 1 minute
- Whip egg whites to soft peak. Gradually add remaining splenda and continue whipping for 2 minutes
- Fold egg white into egg yolk mixture
- Divide mixture between the two cake tins
- Bake at 180°C for 20 minutes – test by sticking cocktail stick into cake, if it comes out clean the cake is ready
- Allow to cool completely on wire racks
- For the filling:
- Strain the apricots and keep the juice.
- Purée the apricots.
- Put 1 tbsp of apricot juice into a small cup and sprinkle gelatine on top and leave for 5 minutes.
- Melt gelatine in microwave or in a pot of water.
- Mix into apricots and then fold in the frommage frais.
- Allow to chill for 1 hour in fridge.
- Cut cake in half length ways and divide filling among the layers.
More by Louise Lennox:
- Saturday Brunch: American Style Pancakes
- Hot Cross Buns time
- Something for the weekend: Irish Breakfast Scones