The toasted flaked almonds make a delicious cake topping.
- 180 g flour
- 2 tsp yeast or baking powder
- pinch of salt
- 225 g sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 lemon (zest)
- 60 ml milk
- 180 ml extra-virgin olive oil
- 100 g toasted chopped flaked almonds
- Heat the oven to 180°C and butter and flour a cake tin. Mix together the flour, baking powder and salt.
- Using an electric whisk, beat the sugar, eggs and lemon zest together in a large bowl until the mixture becomes pale. Add the milk followed by the milk. Now add the flour mixture to the egg mix and stir it in slowly.
- Finally add the chopped almonds and transfer this dough to the cake tin or mould. Place in the oven for at least 40 minutes. Test by sticking a knife in - it should come out dry.
- Leave to sit for twenty minutes before turning it out. Shake icing sugar over the top.
More by Eamonn Ó Cathain:
- Steamed Baby Leeks With Mustard Sauce And Hard Boiled Eggs
- Chorizo with Haricot Beans and Red Wine
- Roast Lamb with Rosemary and Sage Pesto with Rosemary and Lemon Roast Potatoes