Empty plates, every time.
- Heat the fat fryer to 160°C/325°F. Peel the potatoes (2 per person), then wash them clean of any dirt. Cut them into 1cm slices, then cut the slices into chip shapes. Wipe the chips with a tea-towel, but don't dry them out completely.
- In batches to suit your fryer, put the chips into the frying basket and lower into the fat, shaking carefully and regularly as they cook to avoid them sticking together, and let them cook for about 10 minutes. The chips should be cooked through and moist right to the centre.
- Remove the basket of chips and let them drain as you heat the fat to 190°C/375°F. Then give them a quick 2 to 3 minutes more in the fryer until they are delectably golden.
- Turn them out onto some kitchen paper to drain off excess fat, then put them on plates or in a serving dish and sprinkle with some fleur de sel (sea salt), and pepper if that's the way you like them.
More by Trish Deseine:
- Recipe: Trish Deseine, Durrus Tartiflette, Today
- Moroccan Lamb
- Apple Compote with Crème Anglaise and Burned Butter Sauce