A typical French break of the Provence region. It can be served plain, with a topping or baked with a filling.
- 450 g strong white flour
- 20 g fresh yeast
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tblsp olive oil
- 280 ml warm water
- to fill:
- 50 g roquefort
- 40 g walnuts
- 25 g anchovies (optional)
- olive oil
- to garnish:
- smoked bacon lardoons
- 30 g black olives
- 1 sprig of rosemary
- Begin by mixing the flour and the salt in a large bowl and make a ‘well’ in the middle. Mix the yeast and around 60ml of the warm water.
- Mix this in with the flour and afterwards the rest of the water and the olive oil. Mix completely. Transfer the a floured surface and knead for 7 to ten minutes.
- The resulting dough should take on a ‘elastic’ aspect.
- Oil the inside of another bowl and out the ball of dough into it.
- Cover with an oiled sheet of greaseproof paper or clingfilm and place in a warm spot until the dough has doubled in quantity.
- When ready flatten the dough on your work surface and split in two (the quantities given are enough to make two Fougasses).
- Flatten out one of these and stuff it with pieces of walnuts and Roquefort.
- Now fold the dough over 2 or three times, so that the filling is well incorporated into the dough. Add anchovies if desired.
- Roll the dough into a ball then pull it out into an oval shape.
- Using a sharp knife cut into the dough making deep slits almost to either side and then stretch it so that it looks like a ladder.
- Place on an oven dish for around 30 to 45 minutes until it doubles again in volume.
- While it is proving, preheat your oven to 220 degrees and Just before placing in the oven, brush each Fougasse that you make with good olive oil.
- Leave for 25 minutes to cook until golden.
- 10 minutes before ready, brush again with olive oil and sprinkle with bacon lardons, chopped black olives and chopped rosemary.
More by Eamon Ó Cathain:
- Steamed Baby Leeks With Mustard Sauce And Hard Boiled Eggs
- Chorizo with Haricot Beans and Red Wine
- Roast Lamb with Rosemary and Sage Pesto with Rosemary and Lemon Roast Potatoes